ArcGIS 10.2 Education Edition
UC Berkeley students, staff, and faculty may obtain a one-year education edition of ArcGIS for Desktop Advanced 10.2 free of charge.
Any UC Berkeley student, faculty, or staff is eligible to receive the software. You must include a valid CalNet ID in your request.
ESRI's recommended hardware and system requirements are available here:
ArcGIS 10.2 for Desktop system requirements
Obtaining the Software:
ESRI no longer makes ArcGIS available on CD/DVD starting with version 10.2 (the most recent). Use the following form to request an authorization number from us by email. The authorization number you receive is not valid until activated online using the instructions below.
Installing the software is typically an easy process, and extensive documentation is available on ESRI's website. The GIF is unable to provide software installation assistance. Please visit this page for more detailed instructions if necessary:
ArcGIS 10.2 for Desktop Free Trial
- Once you have received email from us with your authorizaton number visit http://esri.com/educationedition
- If you do not already have one you will need to create an "ESRI Global Account" login. Note that if you are creating a new account you will be prompted to activate that account via email before you can log in. You may also have to return the initial url and start again.
- Enter the authorization number you received from us by email.
- Select the version of ArcGIS Desktop corresponding to the version you requested and continue the download process.
- Run the installer program typically named ArcGIS_Desktop_xxxxxxx.exe
- If you would like to install the complete software package, including extensions, within the given options, choose to install the "complete" version.
- Choose to activate "single use" using the same 12-digit authorization number that you just activated online.
- Use the same 12-digit authorization number to activate each of the individual extensions.
- For additional assistance and more detailed instructions please visit:
ArcGIS 10.2 for Desktop Free Trial
Education Edition FAQs:
- What extensions are included?
The ArcGIS 10.2 Education Edition software includes 3D Analyst, Data Interoperability for Desktop*, Data Reviewer for Desktop*, Geostatistical Analyst, Network Analyst, Publisher, Schematics, Spatial Analyst, Tracking Analyst, and Workflow Manager for Desktop*.
* Downloaded separately
ArcGIS Education Edition software may only be used for educational, research, and academic purposes and not for commercial use or resale. The term of use is for one year (365 days), which starts upon registration of the Education Edition software.
No, you must uninstall any previous versions of ArcView, ArcEditor, or ArcInfo before you install the ArcGIS 10.1 or 10.2 Education Edition.
Yes, you need to register the ArcGIS Education Edition and each of the extensions you wish to use with ESRI before you can begin using any of them. You can register via the ESRI Web site, e-mail, fax, or mail.
The authorization number is the 12-digit code you received from us by email.
The Desktop Administrator doesn't refresh until you click OK. Click OK and then restart the Desktop Administrator.
When you install ArcGIS you are installing the applications ArcMap, ArcCatalog, and others. ArcGIS is the name that appears in the Start program menu, not ArcGIS Desktop or ArcMap or ArcCatalog, etc.
ArcGIS consists of two main desktop applications: ArcMap and ArcCatalog. ArcMap provides data display, query, and analysis. ArcCatalog provides data management. When you want to begin using ArcGIS, you need to open each of these applications (Start >Programs >ArcGIS> then choose ArcMap and ArcCatalog).